Kingsport Police release more information on officer-involved shooting


KINGPOSRT, Tenn. - The Kingsport Police Department released the following information in a press release about yesterday's shooting on Watauga Street.

"On June 11, 2013 at approximately 1:40 AM, the Kingsport Police Department's Central Dispatch received information that a possibly wanted individual by the name of Jeffrey Chase Caldwell was at the residence at 1357 Watauga Street in Kingsport. Shortly thereafter, K.P.D. Patrol Officers responded in an attempt to locate this individual. Upon arrival, patrol officers made contact with Mr. Caldwell. Mr. Caldwell produced a weapon and a lengthy standoff ensued. Over the next two and a half hours, Mr. Caldwell made repeated detailed threats to harm both the officers and himself. At approximately 4:30 AM, Mr. Caldwell's behavior escalated, and he took very specific actions which very reasonably led the officers on scene to believe they were at imminent risk of serious bodily injury or death. A K.P.D. Patrol Officer took immediate action and shot Mr. Caldwell to eliminate the threat at hand. Mr. Caldwell was transported to an area hospital for treatment.

As is customary in officer involved shootings, the K.P.D. Criminal Investigations Division and the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation are conducting parallel investigations of the incident.

The Kingsport Police Department always strives to be as cooperative and transparent as possible with the public and the media; however, in many instances such as this, there is often specific information which simply cannot be released until the appropriate time in the quite lengthy criminal justice process.

According to David Quillin, Interim Chief of Police of the Kingsport Police Department, "As is standard protocol in a police involved shooting, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is conducting an independent investigation of the incident. As a result of that and to protect the integrity of the investigation we are unable to answer specific questions about the details of the event."

Interim Chief Quillin stands firm that K.P.D. Officers at the scene were absolutely without question justified in their response to this incident. He states, "First, and let me be very, very clear….the suspect (Mr. Caldwell) created this situation. The Kingsport Police Department did not create this situation. The Kingsport Police Department responded, as required by duty and obligation, to a situation and location where a wanted man was believed to be. Once contact was established with Mr. Caldwell, he and he alone, dictated the outcome of this incident. The officers on scene took the necessary actions based on the circumstances, the knowledge they had, their training, proper police procedure, and department protocol. They exhibited an enormous level of patience and restraint, with their final actions which ultimately resolved the incident, being an absolutely last resort. The Kingsport Police Department's officers are extremely well trained, and I have total confidence that the officers involved were absolutely correct in the action they took. Additionally, I am confident that they will be vindicated by the outcome of the independent investigation currently being conducted by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation."

Again due to the active nature of this investigation and the involvement of an outside agency, there will be no further information available at this time.

All media inquiries should be directed to:

Ptl. Thomas M. Patton

K.P.D. Community Relations & Crime Prevention Unit


E-mails and voicemails will be responded to in a timely manner."

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off