One dead in Kingsport after carbon monoxide poisoning


A generator being used inside a basement is being blamed for a carbon monoxide poisoning death at a home in Kingsport.

Kingsport Fire Department spokesperson Barry Brickey said crews were dispatched to a house in the 1100 block of Myrtle Street just after 4 a.m. after a report of person unconscious.

One person was found dead in the basement where the generator was being used because the home had no electricity, Brickey said.

Three other people inside the home, including a small child, and two KFD firefighters were taken to an area hospital for CO poisoning and exposure, the report said.

Brickey noted the family members were alerted to the generator not running by a barking dog inside the house.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off