Fire destroys home in Russell County


A fire blamed on faulty wiring has destroyed a home in Russell County.

Russell County emergency personnel responded to a home on Dante Road in Castlewood after a motorist passing by saw smoke coming from the home. The motorist was unsure if the home was occupied and called dispatch.

The homeowner was out of state at the time of the fire. No injuries were reported in the blaze. Officials said he will need a place to stay until his home is demolished and replaced.

The family has limited insurance, but in the meantime, the family's immediate needs are being met by the Mountain Empire Chapter of the American Red Cross, Christian Center, Russell County Salvation Army, family members and Russell County Emergency Management.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off