Claire's yanks 12 items from shelves after asbestos found in makeup
Claire's, the popular kids' accessories chain, is pulling more than a dozen items from store shelves after a Rhode Island family found asbestos in their six-year-old daughter's makeup.
Kristi Warner was concerned about the ingredients in her six-year-old daughter's glitter makeup kit that the family purchased at their local Claire's. So, the Barrington mom who works for Deaton Law Firm, mailed the makeup to an independent lab in North Carolina. Test results revealed the makeup to have Tremolite Asbestos, a toxic and cancer-causing material, in it. Exposure to this has been linked to Mesothelioma which is 100 percent fatal.
"In the work that we do, we've come across contaminated cosmetics, but you just assume that a children's product would be safe," the concerned mom told NBC affiliate WJAR. She is now looking out for the safety of other children who might be exposed.
Kristi and her boss, John Deaton, have purchased 17 more Claire's makeup products from nine different states. The results weren't good. Tremolite Asbestos was found in every single product.
Claire's has since released a statement saying: "As a result of today's inquiry from WJAR, we have taken the precautionary measure of pulling the items in question from sale, and will be conducting an immediate investigation into the alleged issues."
let inDapIF = true;