MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Fire forces evacuation of Hurley Elementary School in Buchanan County

A preliminary investigation shows a clothes dryer was the source of a Thursday afternoon fire inside a gymnasium at Hurley Elementary School in Buchanan County, Virginia (Knox Creek Vol. FD / Special to News 5)

Students were evacuated out of Hurley Elementary School on Thursday afternoon following a fire that investigators said started in the school's gym area.

Knox Creek Volunteer Fire Department spokesperson Wayne Horne told News 5 that a Buchanan County deputy was able to extinguish a blaze that came from a clothes dryer and where flames were visible.

The fire activated the facility's sprinkler system causing water damage in the boys' locker room and gym area, Horne said.

Those areas also sustained smoke damage while a collection of toys intended for children were damaged during the incident, the spokesperson said.

The students were taken to the nearby high school after being allowed to collect personal items.

The fire remains under investigation.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending